[Coladam] Problems with the ADAM display

geoffrey oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 20 17:39:03 CET 2010

The Video RAM is on the game board... the top board in the set. If you feel
lucky enough, you can try swapping out the game boards between the two ADAMs you
have and see if your problem goes away. This is straightforward to do with only
a phillips screwdriver. There is a ribbon cable that connects the two boards and
it's socketed on the game board side. Since the other system you indicate didn't
start at all, it's a toss up whether or not the problem lies between the game
board or bottom peripheral board (the bottom board holds all the main memory for
the system, and also contains circuitry to reset the system). I will caution
that if there is something seriously wrong with the other  board, it may make
things worse for the mostly working set. I'll leave it to you to decide how to
proceed there, but I'd wager you're probably okay swapping them out for a quick
test. On the dead system, if you pull Game Reset, does the CV screen show up or
is it completely dead?

Now, the RAM may be perfectly good anyway. In my case I had some similar
artifacts (vertical lines in the display) and the problem was the connector to
the power supply/printer on the side of the console. They would go away when I
wiggled the power connector. I don't think the ground connection was all that
great in my case and replacing the connector fixed my problem.