[Coladam] Using DCOPY, ADAM Connection and ADAM---DOS with 5 1/4" 1.2Mb Disk Drives

bob rslopsema at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 8 14:25:34 CET 2011

Jim, as I recall; the same problems surfaced as Joe and Ron had.  I believe
Doug told me that it involves the interleaves and tracking of a 1.2 meg disk
vs the 360k drive.  AS Joe said, the best way is a straight DOS computer
with a 360k drive.  If you look at the ADAM disk drive, it is actually 1/2
of an ibm compatable drive......180k single side of a 360k double sided
disk, and not using the 9th track of the 180k disk, leaving us with a 160k
disk.  If you format single sided 180k disks on an ibm drive, you can simply
initialize it in the ADAM and it works great.  Possibly a 1.2m TEAC drive
will work "better", but it will not work every time.  As Ron told us one
time, it depends on the day, the weather, the position of the sunspots, and
dumb luck.      [Bob]