[Coladam] Dr. D. HD system update

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Sun Jan 9 00:36:54 CET 2011

On Sat, January 8, 2011 5:36 pm, George M. Koczwara wrote:

> Rich, like the present HDs, the MFM HD did spin up when power was sent to
> it.  When the ADAM booted it accessed the the HD for booting.  I fear your
> HD is destined to become a doorstop.

     Hi George, when I read this, I decided to just plug in the HD to
the external power supply and let it sit to see what happened.  After
about 10 minutes of the repeated activity light blinky pattern, but
nothing else.. the drive suddenly spun up!

     I let it run a bit, then shut it down, waited for about 15 seconds,
then turned it on again.  This time, it spun right up, made the normal
head-checking whirrs, the activity light glowed green for 2 seconds and
went out, then the heads made the single homing noise and it kept running!
I repeated this a few times, and it did the same thing each time.  So, I
think that the drive has come back to life.  Maybe it just needed to warm
up to unstick the bearings, or something.

     I still have to debug the ADAM HD system unit, but I feel much more
confident about being able to get it all running now!

     *Dr. D.*