[Coladam] ADAMEm/SDL 1.8

Geoff Oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 12 14:48:58 CET 2011

Well, there are a few differences between this one and the DOS version. Firstly, the program runs natively under Windows and Mac OS X instead of being run through a dos VM like Dosbox or (if it works for you) the DOS prompt (which Windows 95/XP is a VM itself).

It should support all the command line switches that the DOS program supports if you run it from the command line, including loading cartridge images and disk/ddp images, and then a few extra new ones:

-harddisk <filename> or -hd <filename> will specify the file to use for hard disk emulation.
-exprom or -er <filename> specifies the filename of the slot 2 boot rom. I have successfully used the PM IDE boot rom with this to boot to the hard disk directly
-scale2x or -2x will start the emulator with scale2x turned on. This is a scaling algorithm to smooth out the video at higher resolutions

If no filename is specified for the hard disk file or expansion rom it will look for hdisk.img and exp.rom respectively from the same directly the program is launched in.

For the hard disk image, you need to create a hard disk file from scratch. I don't include a utility for this yet. From a linux or OSX machine you can create one using dd. dd if=/dev/zero of=hdisk.img -count 131072 will create a disk image that's 64MB large. You then have to use the PM IDE setup utilities to partition the file as you would a normal hard drive and load software to it.

Apparently I neglected to include these in the -help output, but they do work from the CLI.