[Coladam] adam's modem

Joe Blenkle jblenkle at sacnews.net
Sun Feb 13 01:19:54 CET 2011

I will open this question up to the knowledgeable people here on the mailing list:

Is ADAM's ADAMLink modem too ancient to connect with modern day modems?

Recently I have tried both PC to ADAM direct connection between modems (see September 1987 Issue #33 of NIAD - Interfacing ADAM to a PC) as well as calling some of the few remaining existing BBS'.

In both cases, ADAM appears to connect briefly, but immediately disconnects.

I have successfully connected with the same BBS' using my PC and an old telcom program called Procomm set at 300 baud, N81 as well as my Atari 130XL computer using a 300/1200 modem. In that case, the computer connected at 300, but there just appeared to be random letters and numbers on the screen. At 1200, it was OK.

So has modern technology rendered ADAM's 300 baud modem useless -- except for talking to another ADAM 300 baud modem?

thanks

Joe B.