[Coladam] computer networking wisdom needed

Joe Blenkle jblenkle at sacnews.net
Sat Mar 5 08:17:29 CET 2011

Once again I call on the great computer minds here to help me out. I am having a problem that is driving me absolutely crazy.

We have several computers in the house that are set up on a network for their Internet connection. Basically there is my computer, a backup computer just a few feet away, my wife's laptop in the kitchen and my son's desktop in his room.

All are running Windows XP

My computer is the main computer. On my desk sits the cable modem which is plugged into the wireless/wired router. This problem revolves around my computer, not the others.

My computer is plugged into the router directly via a Ethernet LAN cable as is the backup computer on the desk next to my main computer desk.

The problem is, my Internet connection frequently drops...it just goes dead...this has no time frame in happening...it can happen anywhere from 30 seconds after turning my computer on to hours later. But the backup computer sitting on the other desk keeps its connection. When I reboot my computer, everything is fine again...for awhile...then out of the blue it will drop again.

I have run the command prompt and done a PING test when this happens and there's nothing. Right next door on the other computer, PING returns everything PING is supposed to.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening? I can't find any differences between the network configuration between the two computers and considering they are hooked up identically, I can't figure out what is wrong. I've switched cables, plugged the cables into different ports in the router, etc. with the same result.

thanks

Joe B.