[Coladam] computer networking wisdom needed

Frances and/or Richard Clee cleechez at tamcotec.com
Sun Mar 6 04:52:19 CET 2011

Joe - your basic explanation is simple. You're dealing with a computer.

When I get stuck on computer questions, I tend to find the gurus at
http://www.topfreeforum.com/forum/?mforum=neatnettricks
to be very helpful and knowledgeable. It's a small board with thin
membership so your queries doint get overlooked nor lost in an instant
deluge of replies, but there's usually sufficient expertise around to
either give you the answer or provide a link to where it will be found.
I do suggest you give them a try.

My home wireless is strictly a hotspot with a Cisco Valet router, all
plug and play. Every month or two either the router or the modem gets a
fit of the sulks and wants to be rebooted before it will go back to
work. But then all three computers are cut off.

We should have the same configuration on all three computers, but at
bootup my Acer laptop connects to the network on its own, my wife's Acer
laptop connects during the POST cycle but then wants its wireless button
pressed again after Windows is loaded, and the desktop seems to lose all
memory of what a network is if put on standby. Go figure.

It's like our standing joke on the weekly Adam chat - I usually get
dropped off it for no visible reason some few times a session, often
when someone else joins or exits. Others will have this problem maybe
one night every year or two. No one can figure it out. But it happens
only when I'm using my desktop, it never happens on the laptop.

But with luck maybe you'll find someone who can guess why your computer
behaves so strangely, even if they are at a loss for a cure.