[Coladam] computer networking wisdom needed

Joe Blenkle jblenkle at sacnews.net
Sun Mar 6 08:17:07 CET 2011

First of all, thanks to those of you who suggested fixes for my internet
disconnection problem on my networked computer.

I tried several of your suggestions and some of them seemed to initially
work, but in the end I still lost my internet connection after varying
lengths of time.

One thing I did notice, however, during all my testing was that either
downloading large files or streaming video from a place like Hulu.com would
hasten the disconnection.

I also noticed that when streaming video just as the connection would drop,
the sound would sometimes hang up into one continuous tone. Exiting out of
my web browser would make this go away, but utltimately, the internet
connection was still lost.

I was going to try another re-install of Windows XP, but first I figured I'd
try the obvious -- which I probably should have tried earlier -- I unplugged
both my sound card and modem from the computer. The only other card I have
is the video card...and it's kind of necessary...

I just completed about an hour and 15 minutes of uninterupted video
streaming from Hulu.com with no problem. I'm fairly sure there was some kind
of hardware conflict with my sound card going on...or possibly the
modem...but my chief suspect is the sound card.

It's too late to do any more now, but tomorrow I will remove all my sound
cards drivers and software, plug it into another slot in my computer and
then do a re-install and see if my internet connection holds up under
prolonged use.

I did check all my hardware devices previous to this and saw no conflicts,
but obviously something in my computer doesn't like something else...or
where it was plugged in...hopefully this will solve the problem!!!

thanks

Joe B.