[Coladam] Copy program

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 16:39:16 CET 2011

Justin,

There were A LOT of backup/copy utilities created over the years for the
ADAM that would allow for the transfer of programs between Disk and Data
Packs or any combination of them. The two "BEST" programs to get a hold of
are File Manager v3.0 by AJM Software (Tony Morehen) and Backup+ v3.0 by
MMSG Software (Jim Marshall), with File Manager v3.0 being the BEST all
around program due to it's sheer amount of capabilities.

One thing to be aware of when copying to Data Packs is the existence of two
different Data Pack formats referred to as:

- Center Directory DDP (CDDDP) - this is the standard data pack format that
most software is provided on and all the blank data packs that were sold
were provided as.

- Right Directory DDP (RDDDP) - this was a special data pack format Coleco
came up with for all their Super Games like Buck Rogers, etc. that allowed
for faster loading of game data. When copying a RDDDP, you have to copy it
to another RDDDP and all of the Super Games DDPs can only be copied to
another RDDDP, they can't be copied to a disk. Jim Walters of Walters
Software patched all the Super Games to work from disk in 1985/1986. There
are a few Coleco game software titles like Family Feud and The Best of
Broderbund, to name a couple, that can be copied directly to Disk since they
were supplied on CDDDPs and the programmer did not make them drive specific.

Also, be aware of the fact that there is a bug in the ADAM's Operating
System when dealing with these two different format DDPs. Insert a CDDDP and
the ADAM will always think a CDDDP is in the drive, even after you swap it
out with a RDDDP and therefore cause the system to hang-up when trying to
read the directory. You have to reset the system to eleviate this problem.
As long as the programmer of whatever program "resets" ADAMnet (not the
system), this will not be a problem.... and Backup+ does take this into
account. I'm not sure about File Manager, but knowing Tony M., he probably
took this into account as well.

So in the end.... BACKUP!, BACkUP! and BACKUP! and when you think you've
done enough backups, backup again! With the age of these systems and storage
media, you never know. I would make it a point to have a version of said
program on DDP as well as on DISK, that way if a drive goes bad, you have
the other format to fall back on.

Jim N.