[Coladam] copy program

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 00:51:53 CET 2011

Rich,

You might be using File Manager v3.1, which if I recall correctly was
configured for Hard Drives and 3 1/2" High Density drives by Micro
Innovations... really can't say for sure as the non-existence of one of
these drives or any drive for that matter shouldn't cause a problem with
running the program from Data Drives. Can't really offer up more than that
on the subject.

Practical Programs' Basic System Manager and copy utility were nice programs
for their time and still plenty good enough to handle people's requirements,
but when there is a program or two that are so much better than the rest...
why use anything else. Kinda like the glut of ramdisk utilities that were
put out over the years by Jim & Bruce Walters/Walters Software Co. and
Soloman Swift/Digital Express... all that effort to put out
competing/similar programs when one could have been handling those (the
Walters), while Sol should have been focusing on other types of programs
that were needed. I know, competition is good and having a monopoly is bad,
but prices for their warez were pretty cheap (usually no more than $20 with
the exceptional warez closer to $30) and we ADAMites were starving for more
and better warez covering the full spectrum of needs.

Good point re. the drive specifier in the boot block. The SuperGames had
this issue as well as the fact that the games' blocks used were scattered
over the length of the Data Pack in a way that made the loading faster (some
blocks used followed by a group of unused blocks followed by more used
blocks, etc.). This made the conversion of these games to disk format a
rather difficult task for Jim Walters, but he pulled it off and got little
in return for his efforts.

Concerning Richard Scarry's, Jim Walters was paid by Shon McCallum to
convert this game to a 5 1/4" 320K format. At about the same time or maybe a
little earlier, Ron Collins developed a patch that would do the same thing
and we printed it in the NIAD Newsletter. Also, at the end of 1992, Doug
Rosenvinge came upon a bunch of stuff from a former Coleco employee and a
two-disk (160K) version was included in the lot.

Last but not least, let me reiterate if you didn't get it the first time....
BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!  ;- )

Jim