[Coladam] Pics of Panama cruise

Ron Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Fri Apr 1 01:20:11 CEST 2011

Thanks so much Geoff.

My weapon of choice? Well I didn't really use my weapon of choice for
those pictures. They were all taken with my 'lil ol' point-and-shoot.
A Panasonic DMC FX01 (6 Megapixels, and a few 'dumbed down' settings,
but adequate for most circumstances), acquired sometime around 2006.
It's always on my belt pack, and this trip I decided I was going to
travel light.

My 'real' camera is a Pentax K10D (10 Megapixels, and all sorts of
bells and whistles). Bought 4 years ago. Only have one lense for that,
(Tamron AF18-250). When you use a lense like that which tries to be
all things to all people, you usually end up sacrificing something. In
my case if I was going to buy another lense for the K10D, it would be
a macro lense, or a honkin' big zoom. The latter would be well over 2
grand.

A couple of my buddies up in Comox have the K5. Sounds like a very
good upgrade.

Also have a Canon Elura 80 Camcorder, bought in 2005. It came to
Panama with me as well.

I do not count myself particularly as a photographer. Was president of
the Comox Valley Camera Club for 2 years and some of the members were
into it way more than I was. My only objective was to learn to take
better pictures, and somehow I ended up in the chair. I tend to take
pictures as a record of where I've been and what I've done more than
anything else, although sometimes a subject and a particular set of
lighting conditions will lead me to attempt something artistic.

Equipment wise- I'm probably going backwards. The best pic I ever took
was with a 3 megapixel no-name point and shoot, so I'm suspecting that
bigger might not be better. Just blew 5 bucks on a Canon Powershot G2
(4 Mega) in a local thrift store. It's going to cost me another $45
for a new battery and an external charger, and I won't know if the
thing actually works till I get the accessories shipped to me.
My computer experience is also mostly old stuff bought 2nd hand, and
I've yet to be burned. Seems worth the gamble.

Have no particular plans at this point to get anything else in the way
of new camera gear. Would like to learn to use what I've got to better
advantage. Still need to work on things like focussing adjustments,
white balance, shooting raw, histograms, lighting, composition, and
the proper use of flash. There's still enough capability in the  K10D
to do all of that. If I could get to the point where I could see at
least three different options in composing any given shot, that would
be a plus.

It's a fun hobby, and like most hobbies, you can throw whatever money
you've got at it.

To keep this all on topic, I do have another objective. To take a 10
million pixel colour photograph and figure out a way to bring it into
the ADAM world without losing so much. Have tried a bit of that, and
some turn out better than others.

Ron Mitchell