[Coladam] Pics of Panama cruise

geoffrey oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 1 16:28:32 CEST 2011

So how did you guys like the trip? Central America is somewhere I really want to
go.

My mother in law has the same Panasonic as you. It seems to be a good camera.

The K10D looked like a good camera. That was the series that came out after
mine. Would have gotten one of those but that was also about the time the K7 was
announced. I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy something.

The *istDS has been a great camera. I liked it for a number of reasons vs. it's
competitors. Firstly, the backward compatibility on Pentax is second to none, so
all my old stuff still works with it. Secondly, theirs was the smallest camera
body of any of the dSLR manufacturers. Third, it was able to use real AA
batteries in case you ran out of juice on a lithium set (no rechargables on this
one). I have been able to snap through 1000 photos on a single set of lithium
batteries, so it's not too bad on power consumption. :) Lastly, it had a real
pentaprism viewfinder and depth of focus preview button (and removable focusing
screen, which I replaced with a split prism viewfinder a couple years ago). Most
of the Canon and Nikon offerings with those features were at least $500-$600
more at the time. My only complaints with my camera are that it's mirror lock up
is very slow and noisy for an SLR style camera, and it has no sensor cleaning
capability. Those two problems are not unique to the Pentax, but rather the
range of prosumer cameras from that time period ('06) unless you opted for say
an EOS 20D for a couple grand (I paid < $600 for mine new with the kit lens). It
has also been rather sturdy. I once dropped it directly onto the concrete garage
floor from waist height. It survived that. I knocked it over in the office when
I was downloading pictures from it and it knocked a barbell on the way down.
That did it in, but I had Pentax repair it for $250 (the replacement model for
my body was over $500 at the time, so it made sense). The last minor catastrophe
was that my in-laws dog (a Jack Russell) had it in for me apparently, jumped up
onto the kitchen table where it was sitting and took a pee on it! I was pretty
peeved as you can imagine, but after cleaning it off, the only battle damage it
received there was that some of the flash hardware rusted for the hinge so it's
a little slow to pop up. grrr. In other words, I haven't exactly babied it. ;)

As far as megapixels go, this one is a 6.1MP camera. For tests, I had test
prints made up to 8x10 with no reduction in sharpness. I figure that's the
largest I'd ever print. I've seen tests before that show anything over 3MP for a
5x7 print makes no difference. I imagine where it helps is for zooming in and
cropping a frame.

Things I'm looking forward to having on the K5: sensor cleaning, faster mirror
lockup, shake reduction, movies, weatherproof housing, metal subframe,
ultrasonic af lenses, faster overall operation... No reason not to get it
really. ;)

I'm envious of you guys on Vancouver Island. There is no lack of things to take
pictures of there. That is truly God's Country!