[Coladam] disk drives

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 20:00:53 CEST 2011

What about just replacing the drive mechanics if something goes bad (like
the drive motor, broken belt, read/write head, etc.) with an old 5 1/4"
DS/DD 360K Disk Drive and use it as a SS/DD 160K Drive. It would probably
take a lot of research and buying different drives to see if you finally
find one that has all the same sensor hook-ups since adding a sensor would
be out of the question for almost all but a select few people. I could swear
the drive I picked up for an old PC to do transfers between the ADAM and PC
has all the same sensor hook-ups, but I will have to pull it in order to
verify.

That socketed chip on the controller board behind the power switch is the
drive BIOS and the only one that would have the program data that gets burnt
to these chips for a drive conversion to 5 1/4" 320K, 360K or 3 1/2" 720K is
Terry Fowler (unless someone pulled the chip from their drive and had it
dumped). This software was written by Jim Marshall / MMSG for drive
conversions that Ed Jenkins offered and Terry Fowler used the same
conversion kit.

 John Lingrel / Orphanware was the first to perform drive conversions and
had his own software written probably by Tom Clary or Glen Gabarik... but
there were some issues as I recall that developed over time but I can't
elaborate as I don't know for sure.

Think we have ourselves a mission on our hands... especially if the SD Drive
isn't mass-produced.

Jim