[Coladam] MI Disk Drives

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 17:49:58 CEST 2011

Yes, this is a presumption on my part just from everything I have seen and
heard over the last 2 years since being actively back in the scene after
over 10 years of just following things from the sidelines. I have heard from
a limited number of people that their M.I. drives have stopped working
properly (Rich C., Luc M. and some others) as well as a number of the
original Hard Drives designs that were made by M.I. that have become
inoperable. Is the rate of failure any more or less than is/has been
experienced in the PC World? Maybe not, but the end result is a lot more
devasting to the owner when you are talking about a retro system and a
repair or replacement option is usually not available.

As far as still working M.I. drives, until you let me know that your's are
still working, I have only heard that Bob S.'s large collection of M.I.
drives (Floppy and Hard) are still in working order and I hope there are a
lot more out there that may eventually surface.

Yeah, buying a Coleco drive, be it a Data or Disk Drive, on eBay or
CraigList is really a crap-shoot. I have been extremely lucky with the 5
Disk Drives that I have picked up by different means, and only one has had
an issue... an easily fixed alignment issue. The Data Drives have been a
mixed bag, but out of the 12 or so I have acquired, only 3 were completely
shoot and those were all the early revisions of the drive. The latest JVC
revision drives have all worked extremely well.

Another oddity is the total lack of converted Disks Drives (320K, 360K and
720K). There were 100's and 100's of Coleco 5 1/4" 160K drives converted
back in the day by OBS, E&T, ADAM's House, ADAMLink, etc. and I haven't seen
one of these show-up anywhere... although there are a lot of people here on
the List here that still have their's.

As a whole, probably not the best "case study" ever done, but with such
limited numbers to draw from....