[Coladam] MI Disk Drives

Geoff Oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 5 05:39:13 CEST 2011

You are partly correct about the Coleco drive. The biggest problem with the Coleco drives are the weak power supply. The solid state voltage regulators get really hot due to the load put on them, don't have adequate heat sinks, and in ideal circumstances they will do the job with adequate input filtering of ripple current. As such, the condition of the electrolytic capacitors is pretty crucial, and I'd bet that most drives out there have capacitors that are worn out. That said, I've yet to replace them in either of the two drives I currently have. :) A more reliable fix would probably be to bypass the internal power supply and instead use a PC power supply to the drive. They are certainly cheap enough these days.

I'd like to take another crack at the drive if you're willing to give it up for a little while. I've learned a few things in the interim and have a few more tools at my disposal than I did the first time I looked at it.

Speaking of hardware... what sorts of hardware is everyone bringing to the 'con? I haven't seen a lot of exotic ADAM gear since I've been around. The most exotic was a TI Image Maker that I managed to get from someone on a TI board ages ago that I adapted to work with the ADAM (since they intended to market it toward the ADAM as well), but apart from the Coleco drives, MI IDE and MIB3 controllers and memory expanders, those are about the extent of my experience with third-party hardware.