[Coladam] Transferring Data to/from PC

Dale Wick dmwick at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 05:11:16 CEST 2011

The method I've used the most is to transfer over an RS-232 serial cable.  For that you need a USB to serial cable for your PC, perhaps a null modem adaptor, and a serial card for the Adam.  There were several serial cards made for the Adam, but the most common ones are probably the MicroInnovations MIB2 and MIB3.  There are some suppliers around who might have a serial card still.

The possible methods that I've tried are:
1. print out the program and retype it (works well for short programs)
2. serial transfer (need a serial card and a USB <-> RS-232 serial cable and maybe a null modem adaptor, and some terminal software -- mostly I've used CP/M for this)
3. modem to modem transfer (not as convient, but quite reliable)
4. disk transfer software (works best on a 286 computer with a 5.25" and 3.5" disk drive, and of course you need an adam floppy drive to make the disks in the first place)

Possible methods that I'd like to work on in the vague future some time:
1. make an AdamNET <-> usb adaptor for serial over AdamNET
2. make a USB adaptor for reading disks from an AdamNET disk drive
3. make a AdamNET adaptor for supporting USB 3.5" floppy drives on the the Adam
4. make an AdamNET adaptor for supporting disk images stored on a SD card on the Adam
5. make a PC adaptor for accessing an AdamNET tape drive directly

Dale