[Coladam] Installing Second Digital Data Drive

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 00:59:18 CEST 2011

As you stated, you should have checked the Data Drive that came with the
system you just purchased in that system first before pulling it and
installing into your main system... that way you would have "some" idea as
to it's condition. Although you state the system was listed as "for parts",
so there could be any number of issues with it OR it could be working
perfectly and the seller didn't know how or didn't want to spend the time
testing it properly.

As far as Tim's (DJPUBBA on AtariAge or ArcadeCollecting.com) custom ADAM
Power Supply, it does provide ample power for two Data Drives as well as
other interface cards being installed in the system at once... so I doubt
that is the problem.

As far as the proper installation of 2 Data Drives at once:

Drive 1: 9-pin connector to pin set labeled "1A", 8-pin connector to pin set
labeled "1B"

Drive 2: 9-pin connector to pin set labeled "2A", 8-pin connector to pin set
labeled "2B"

Make sure they are facing the right way also, with the little seam on the
plug connector facing toward the rear of the system and the 9 or 8 cut-outs
in the connector facing towards the front of the system. The motherboard
connector has a catch that locks onto the seam to hold the connector in
place better.

I would guess that this newly acquired Data Drive is indeed bad, but you
will have to swap them in and out to see what the results are.

Jim