[Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 04:39:57 CET 2011

Homefully Bob S. or Rich C. can help with replacement parts, but these
drives are getting so scarce that people are holding onto their own
defective drives in case they need to raid it for parts.

I had the same problem with one of my drives back in 1985... reads but does
not write (acts like the write-protect tab is on). Fortunately a friend of
mine was an electronics wiz and knew that the problem was the
photo-electronic cell (looks like an LED light) that is mounted on the left
track and lines up (obviously) with the notch in the  5 1/4" disk. Since
there were no repair avenues back them and and I had no clue where to get a
replacement... he removed the cell from the hole in the track and anytime I
needed to write to a disk I simply shinned a flashlight in the hole that the
sensor at the bottom of the track would pickup. Fortunately, a couple years
later Disk Drive Upgrades/Repairs became available.

There were a number of upgrades (5 1/4" 320K, 5 1/4" 360K and 3 1/2" 720K),
but no one seems to have the upgrade chip available anymore. There were also
some other modifications that needed to be done and maybe Bob S. has the
info.

Jim