[Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip

Geoff Oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 16 05:57:21 CET 2011

You'd most likely have to scavenge from another board. You may be able to use a 6801 MCU from another ADAM peripheral (such as a keyboard) since it is configured to use external RAM/ROM in the disk drive typically (this is handled via selection of three pins on the chip...two are hardwired and the third selects internal or external ROM via E1/E2/E3). A 6803 will also work supposedly. Seems like I had trouble with this personally.

I'm guessing that Coleco didn't use the internal ROM on the 6801 in the floppy drives for the initial run, but they left themselves open to use it later once they got the firmware ironed out. The schematic has a 4k rom, but all the images I have seen are 2K in size, which would fit on the internal ROM in a 6801.