[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 77, Issue 3

kevin laskowski klasko54 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:42:55 CET 2011


I have had this problem myself. And the problem was the left disk
insertion sensor. Very easy to replace, VERY hard to find a working
array. Cheers. Kev.

On 11/16/11, coladam-request at adamcon.org <coladam-request at adamcon.org> wrote:
> Send Coladam mailing list submissions to
> 	coladam at adamcon.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	coladam-request at adamcon.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	coladam-owner at adamcon.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Coladam digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Floppy Drive Controller Chip (Matthew Hudson)
>    2. Should Be on A little Earlier (Guy Bona-AdamEm Utilities)
>    3. Re: Floppy Drive Controller Chip (bob)
>    4. Re: Floppy Drive Controller Chip (Jim Notini)
>    5. Re: Floppy Drive Controller Chip (Geoff Oltmans)
>    6. Re: Floppy Drive Controller Chip (Geoff Oltmans)
>    7. Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03 (Ron Mitchell)
>    8. Re: Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03 (Jim Notini)
>    9. Re: Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03 (Ron Mitchell)
>   10. Re: Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03 (SacNews)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:38:46 -0600
> From: Matthew Hudson <hexsane at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
> To: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAOegkGvof2DqfeKqkZMzBTKmc9SuXQ8mRhgN4suHx_9eBmUjJA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> I'm looking for a replacement drive controller chip. Drive reads but
> doesn't write and I've traced it back to the 6801 controller chip in the
> drive. Anyone have one of these anywhere?
> Were there not upgrade chips available that allowed these drives to be
> upgraded to a 3.5" floppy drives at one time?
>
> -Matt
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:18:52 -0800 (PST)
> From: Guy Bona-AdamEm Utilities <adamemut at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [Coladam] Should Be on A little Earlier
> To: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID:
> 	<1321409932.61654.YahooMailClassic at web180104.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My late video conference that I attend every other month, the time has
> changed due to change to standard time. So, it will start at 6 PM rather
> than at 7 PM until we change to daylight savings time in March. I should be
> home between 8 and 8:30 PM tomorrow for the chat. See you all then.
>
> Guy
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:22:35 -0500
> From: "bob" <rslopsema at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
> To: "Matthew Hudson" <hexsane at gmail.com>
> Cc: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID: <1310F4FC110547009A39F82F481BF35A at SatPro46002>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> OK, now I am confused.  You say you have narrowed it down to the controller
> chip. How did you deduce that, if I can ask?  Normally, I would come up with
> the idea that the write protect sensors on the left of the drive are not
> working.  I do actually have some of the 6801 chips still stuck into
> controller boards, I am sure. And YES, there were other eprom chips that
> could be inserted in place of the 160k ones to make a 320k or a 720k drive;
> but they also required some other adaptations to the drive mechanism such as
> disk in sensor.  Where to get one of those eproms is a good question.  I do
> have some directions somewhere......
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matthew Hudson" <hexsane at gmail.com>
> To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:38 PM
> Subject: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
>
>
>> I'm looking for a replacement drive controller chip. Drive reads but
>> doesn't write and I've traced it back to the 6801 controller chip in the
>> drive. Anyone have one of these anywhere?
>> Were there not upgrade chips available that allowed these drives to be
>> upgraded to a 3.5" floppy drives at one time?
>>
>> -Matt
>> _______________________________________________
>> Coladam mailing list
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:39:57 -0600
> From: "Jim Notini" <jnoti2 at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
> To: "Matthew Hudson" <hexsane at gmail.com>,	<coladam at adamcon.org>
> Message-ID: <0D7A70C1962945949F2178F782378919 at HomePC>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> Homefully Bob S. or Rich C. can help with replacement parts, but these
> drives are getting so scarce that people are holding onto their own
> defective drives in case they need to raid it for parts.
>
> I had the same problem with one of my drives back in 1985... reads but does
> not write (acts like the write-protect tab is on). Fortunately a friend of
> mine was an electronics wiz and knew that the problem was the
> photo-electronic cell (looks like an LED light) that is mounted on the left
> track and lines up (obviously) with the notch in the  5 1/4" disk. Since
> there were no repair avenues back them and and I had no clue where to get a
> replacement... he removed the cell from the hole in the track and anytime I
> needed to write to a disk I simply shinned a flashlight in the hole that the
> sensor at the bottom of the track would pickup. Fortunately, a couple years
> later Disk Drive Upgrades/Repairs became available.
>
> There were a number of upgrades (5 1/4" 320K, 5 1/4" 360K and 3 1/2" 720K),
> but no one seems to have the upgrade chip available anymore. There were also
> some other modifications that needed to be done and maybe Bob S. has the
> info.
>
> Jim
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matthew Hudson" <hexsane at gmail.com>
> To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:38 PM
> Subject: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
>
>
>> I'm looking for a replacement drive controller chip. Drive reads but
>> doesn't write and I've traced it back to the 6801 controller chip in the
>> drive. Anyone have one of these anywhere?
>> Were there not upgrade chips available that allowed these drives to be
>> upgraded to a 3.5" floppy drives at one time?
>>
>> -Matt
>> _______________________________________________
>> Coladam mailing list
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:15:04 -0600
> From: Geoff Oltmans <oltmansg at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
> To: "Jim Notini" <jnoti2 at comcast.net>
> Cc: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID: <68DECD9C-6017-419F-A9BB-B36E99979156 at bellsouth.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> I've got the old archive of Orphanware firmware from CompuServe still on my
> machine here. It includes some instructions for adapting drive to work with
> it. It does require a couple wire mods to the controller board to work (side
> select), and as Bob points out, a replacement double sided mech with a disk
> in sensor. I modded one of my old drives with it a while back and it worked
> fine so far as I could tell.
>
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 9:39 PM, Jim Notini wrote:
>
>> Homefully Bob S. or Rich C. can help with replacement parts, but these
>> drives are getting so scarce that people are holding onto their own
>> defective drives in case they need to raid it for parts.
>>
>> I had the same problem with one of my drives back in 1985... reads but
>> does
>> not write (acts like the write-protect tab is on). Fortunately a friend of
>>
>> mine was an electronics wiz and knew that the problem was the
>> photo-electronic cell (looks like an LED light) that is mounted on the
>> left
>> track and lines up (obviously) with the notch in the  5 1/4" disk. Since
>> there were no repair avenues back them and and I had no clue where to get
>> a
>> replacement... he removed the cell from the hole in the track and anytime
>> I
>> needed to write to a disk I simply shinned a flashlight in the hole that
>> the
>> sensor at the bottom of the track would pickup. Fortunately, a couple
>> years
>> later Disk Drive Upgrades/Repairs became available.
>>
>> There were a number of upgrades (5 1/4" 320K, 5 1/4" 360K and 3 1/2"
>> 720K),
>> but no one seems to have the upgrade chip available anymore. There were
>> also
>> some other modifications that needed to be done and maybe Bob S. has the
>> info.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Matthew Hudson" <hexsane at gmail.com>
>> To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
>> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:38 PM
>> Subject: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
>>
>>
>>> I'm looking for a replacement drive controller chip. Drive reads but
>>> doesn't write and I've traced it back to the 6801 controller chip in the
>>> drive. Anyone have one of these anywhere?
>>> Were there not upgrade chips available that allowed these drives to be
>>> upgraded to a 3.5" floppy drives at one time?
>>>
>>> -Matt
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Coladam mailing list
>>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Coladam mailing list
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:57:21 -0600
> From: Geoff Oltmans <oltmansg at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Floppy Drive Controller Chip
> To: Matthew Hudson <hexsane at gmail.com>
> Cc: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID: <46EC0E9E-6DB3-44B7-9DF6-D7389B6C8CB7 at bellsouth.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> You'd most likely have to scavenge from another board. You may be able to
> use a 6801 MCU from another ADAM peripheral (such as a keyboard) since it is
> configured to use external RAM/ROM in the disk drive typically (this is
> handled via selection of three pins on the chip...two are hardwired and the
> third selects internal or external ROM via E1/E2/E3). A 6803 will also work
> supposedly. Seems like I had trouble with this personally.
>
> I'm guessing that Coleco didn't use the internal ROM on the 6801 in the
> floppy drives for the initial run, but they left themselves open to use it
> later once they got the firmware ironed out. The schematic has a 4k rom, but
> all the images I have seen are 2K in size, which would fit on the internal
> ROM in a 6801.
>
>
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 5:38 PM, Matthew Hudson wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a replacement drive controller chip. Drive reads but
>> doesn't write and I've traced it back to the 6801 controller chip in the
>> drive. Anyone have one of these anywhere?
>> Were there not upgrade chips available that allowed these drives to be
>> upgraded to a 3.5" floppy drives at one time?
>>
>> -Matt
>> _______________________________________________
>> Coladam mailing list
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:10:35 -0800
> From: Ron Mitchell <rm2892 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
> To: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID: <F418F6FC-F7CB-438F-911D-E67B7490C341 at telus.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
> Can anyone tell me how to do a media swap on the fly under Virtual ADAM
> 1.03?
>
> Looking to load Powerpaint from drive1 and once loaded to replace it with a
> working media. Since Powerpaint only recognizes two floppy drives, and I
> already have another working disk in the second drive, I need to change
> disks in drive one without shutting down the emulator.
>
> Also?..  is there a way of preserving the contents of the RAM drive for
> subsequent restarts?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ron Mitchell
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:25:22 -0600
> From: "Jim Notini" <jnoti2 at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
> To: "Ron Mitchell" <rm2892 at gmail.com>,	<coladam at adamcon.org>
> Message-ID: <09A892271DF04042901B447EE01D7C22 at HomePC>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="Windows-1252";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> You can't swap disks or data packs images in Virtual ADAM due to a conflict
> with DOSbox. Steve knows about the issue, but there is no easy work-a-round
> to this dilemna besides writing an entirely new emulator or reverting back
> to using plain old ADAMem with or without ADAMem Manager.
>
> This also means that a game like Temple of the Snow Dragon (the 2 disk 5
> 1/4" 160K version) can't be played on Virtual ADAM since you have to swap
> out the disk after the main program loads from disk #1 and disk #2 has to
> inserted into the same drive... Sol & Tony set up the program to look for
> disk #2 in the same drive that disk #1 was booted from.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ron Mitchell" <rm2892 at gmail.com>
> To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:10 PM
> Subject: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
>
>
> Can anyone tell me how to do a media swap on the fly under Virtual ADAM
> 1.03?
>
> Looking to load Powerpaint from drive1 and once loaded to replace it with a
> working media. Since Powerpaint only recognizes two floppy drives, and I
> already have another working disk in the second drive, I need to change
> disks in drive one without shutting down the emulator.
>
> Also?..  is there a way of preserving the contents of the RAM drive for
> subsequent restarts?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ron Mitchell
>
> _______________________________________________
> Coladam mailing list
> Coladam at adamcon.org
> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:48:58 -0800
> From: Ron Mitchell <rm2892 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
> To: "Jim Notini" <jnoti2 at comcast.net>
> Cc: coladam at adamcon.org
> Message-ID: <C7F78960-6DD4-423D-B41C-B3632351DDCE at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
> Ok. Thought maybe I was missing something obvious.
>
> Thanks Jim
>
> Ron
>
> On 2011-11-15, at 9:25 PM, Jim Notini wrote:
>
>> You can't swap disks or data packs images in Virtual ADAM due to a
>> conflict
>> with DOSbox. Steve knows about the issue, but there is no easy
>> work-a-round
>> to this dilemna besides writing an entirely new emulator or reverting back
>>
>> to using plain old ADAMem with or without ADAMem Manager.
>>
>> This also means that a game like Temple of the Snow Dragon (the 2 disk 5
>> 1/4" 160K version) can't be played on Virtual ADAM since you have to swap
>> out the disk after the main program loads from disk #1 and disk #2 has to
>> inserted into the same drive... Sol & Tony set up the program to look for
>> disk #2 in the same drive that disk #1 was booted from.
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Ron Mitchell" <rm2892 at gmail.com>
>> To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
>> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:10 PM
>> Subject: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
>>
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to do a media swap on the fly under Virtual ADAM
>> 1.03?
>>
>> Looking to load Powerpaint from drive1 and once loaded to replace it with
>> a
>> working media. Since Powerpaint only recognizes two floppy drives, and I
>> already have another working disk in the second drive, I need to change
>> disks in drive one without shutting down the emulator.
>>
>> Also?..  is there a way of preserving the contents of the RAM drive for
>> subsequent restarts?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Ron Mitchell
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Coladam mailing list
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Coladam mailing list
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:15:49 -0800
> From: "SacNews" <jblenkle at sacnews.net>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
> To: "Ron Mitchell" <rm2892 at gmail.com>,	<coladam at adamcon.org>
> Message-ID: <sig.53013cbcf5.0C6F5E006D8A47C78CE7B06597AE4B57 at sacnews>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="Windows-1252";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> You can't...that's the one thing I wish Steve would have fixed on it. The
> keys that are used to drop into the menu where you do a disk swap in ADAMem
> performs another function in DOSBox, which Virtual ADAM runs under. I played
> around and finally was able to switch this key, but Virtual ADAM is
> hard-wired to make a temporary disk file of whichever disk you use under a
> particular name, so it won't let you swap disks or DDPs because it still
> looks for the preset name of the disk/DDP file.
>
> Disk/DDP swaps can only be done in ADAMem by doing a Control-F9.
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ron Mitchell" <rm2892 at gmail.com>
> To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:10 PM
> Subject: [Coladam] Question re Virtual ADAM 1.03
>
>
> Can anyone tell me how to do a media swap on the fly under Virtual ADAM
> 1.03?
>
> Looking to load Powerpaint from drive1 and once loaded to replace it with a
> working media. Since Powerpaint only recognizes two floppy drives, and I
> already have another working disk in the second drive, I need to change
> disks in drive one without shutting down the emulator.
>
> Also?..  is there a way of preserving the contents of the RAM drive for
> subsequent restarts?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ron Mitchell
>
> _______________________________________________
> Coladam mailing list
> Coladam at adamcon.org
> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2012.0.1869 / Virus Database: 2092/4619 - Release Date: 11/15/11
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Coladam mailing list
> Coladam at adamcon.org
> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
> End of Coladam Digest, Vol 77, Issue 3
> **************************************
>


More information about the Coladam mailing list