[Coladam] ADAM Assembly Programming

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Thu Feb 23 14:59:48 CET 2012

On Thu, February 23, 2012, various people wrote:

[Re: PDF versions of "The Hackers Guide to ADAM" Volume I and II]

     I have the equipment and resources to produce such PDFs.  I own both
books, I have lots of experience with digital restoration of documents:

     http://drushel.cwru.edu/schematics/          ;ADAM schematics
     http://drushel.cwru.edu/apollo204/           ;Apollo 1 accident report
     http://drushel.cwru.edu/apollo13/            ;Apollo 13 accident report

Recently I have been working on facsimile editions of books in the "Wizard
of Oz" series (all of which are in the public domain), using scans of first
editions, of varying quality, available from Google Books, including the
color plates.  I haven't made any of these available yet (and they are
hundreds of megabytes anyways), but Ms. Rin can attest to how good my final
work looks.

     However, AFAIK both the "Hackers Guide" books are still in copyright,
and it would at least be nice to have the tacit approval of the authors to
make these works available in PDF format.  Moreover, there are various
errors in the information which I found over the years, which ideally should
be corrected.

     My own copies of the books are well-used and have lots of handwritten
notes in them, which I would have to remove in manual editing in order to
make a clean facsimile.  I haven't looked at the books for awhile, but in
principle, I imagine that some pages might need a lot of work.  Starting from
a more "unused" set of books would make things easier, but it's not an
insurmountable obstacle.

     In almost all cases, better versions of the schematics in Volume II
are available (see my schematics webpage above).  I would substitute these
images for the versions in the existing book.

     Let me dig out the books after work today and make a concrete
assessment.  There may actually be little enough text that just retyping
it (and directly including program listings from the "Hacker's Guide" disk
source) would make a better "facsimile" reproduction, and also allow
regular text editing.  The final PDFs would also be a lot smaller.

     *Dr. D.*