[Coladam] ADAM Assembly Programming

Ron Mitchell rm2892 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:04:55 CET 2012

I'm with you on this one Joe, but I think it's important to do our "due diligence" in each case where we think it appropriate.

Example:

Last night I was looking for a registered copy of 22DISK, software which is capable of reading and writing many different formats of CP/M disks - including ADAM's.

The unregistered version is available for download all over the place. But the list of CP/M disk definitions provided with the package contains only one Coleco ADAM format, the original 360K disks. I once had a registered copy of 22DISK. Lord knows where it is now, but I know for sure it had several more ADAM CP/M formats, including the 1.44 Meg high density format. There were, as I recall at least 4 more ADAM CP/M formats. So I went looking int the DISKS.DEF file in my package, and sure enough they are there. But with the unregistered version of 22DISK, only one choice shows up,  COL1.

Reading a little further, I discovered an interesting article about all this. Seems like 22DISK, or at least the registered version, is NOT public domain. Check out the link …. it's a rather interesting story.

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/sydex.html

And we are likely to run across more like it.

However, as they say, sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Ron