[Coladam] ADAM Assembly Programming

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Thu Feb 23 20:15:18 CET 2012

On Thu, February 23, 2012 1:26 pm, geoffrey oltmans wrote:

> Just because we don't think there is any fiduciary interest
> remaining in a lot of this old stuff some copyright holders might disagree.

     A hypothetical example:

     If I saw that copies of "The Hacker's Guide to ADAM" (or some other
copyrighted work for an obsolete computer) were fetching hundreds of dollars
in eBay auctions, and I were the copyright holder, I might be tempted to
every year print one or two more new copies just to be "found" so they could
be auctioned off.  Perfectly legal.  It's mine and I can do what I want with
it.  All I need is one decent original copy; I don't even need the copy
masters.  Even if it just works a few times before the rubes catch on, I make
a lot of money.  It's like finding a $20 in an old coat pocket, over and
over.  Gravy.

     If a PDF of the same work, even poor scans from a battered original
copy, nevermind a restored and error-corrected version, becomes available
for free download, there goes my cash cow.  Aside from a real fanboy
collector, people wanting the book now want it for the information, not for
the physical book.  Right now, they have to find/buy the scarce, expensive,
original book to get that information.  One PDF released to the net becomes
immortal.

     If I were sufficiently POed by this, I could sue and would definitely
win, because under current copyright in the US, works created in the 1980s
won't enter public domain until the 2060s or later (thank you, Sonny Bono).

     *Dr. D.*