[Coladam] INFOCOM FOR ADAM

SacNews - Joe Blenkle jblenkle at sacnews.net
Sat Mar 3 08:49:31 CET 2012

To my knowledge, no Infocom games were officially released for the ADAM
(although Infocom had planned to). All the titles that are out there were
converted from other computers that ran similar CP/M systems.

Originally they ran in 80-column which was difficult to use on ADAM. Then
someone found a screen chop program which if you ran before running the
Infocom game (or any other CP/M program), it would chop the line off at the
ADAM's column width and wrap it to the next line making it more readable.

Then it was discovered that all Infocom games actually have a built in
routine for adjusting the width of what appears on the screen. You had to
use a CP/M editor and patch the disk (I have the instructions someplace and
I believe they are in one of the ECN's on my web page)...once saved,
magically, the Infocom game displays at both the right screen width and
pauses the text at the proper spot for the length of ADAM's screen.