[Coladam] CP/M Full Screen Editor

Ron Mitchell rm2892 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 05:25:55 CET 2012

Ok Tommy, leave it with me. I'll see if I can get the files you need onto a virtual data pack, and then perhaps somebody with a real ADAM up and running can transfer onto a real data pack for you.

Haven't used my real ADAM in years. Still have it, but I find the emulator much easier to use. So I'll see if I can put together a data pack image for you with vde.com on it so that you can run it as it without having to extract anything.  Might take a while, so bear with me.

I'm assuming that you're a complete beginner at CP/M. Most people in the ADAM world found it complicated, and not worth their time. At one point I had to agree, and now I am certainly no expert. I guess I got more exposure to CP/M through my association with the ADAM User Friendly Group in Ottawa where we had the good fortune to have a couple of really good people who were right into CP/M. Our group therefore probably spent way more time with it than the majority of other ADAM User Groups.

Anyway, that's all history now. Most of the CP/M stuff these days gets even less attention than it did when it commercially available. That being said, there is a wealth of CP/M software out there available in the public domain and completely free. That includes some impressive improvements to Digital Research's original product such as Z-System, and course ADAM's own TDOS which provides many of the benefits of Z-System on the ADAM. However if you're not familiar with the original ADAM CP/M system, then you're not going to see much benefit in what TDOS provides.

The problem that most people have with CP/M on the ADAM is that the software, on first loading, does not work as expected. You have to have some knowledge of the operating system to get it to work. Chiefly there are two issues: (a) the terminal being used - and (b) the apparent lack of user-friendliness (i.e....no GUI). Most of the software was written for an 80 column screen, and of course the stock ADAM doesn't have such a thing. That discouraged a lot of people particularly those who expected ADAM software to run 'out of the box'.  CP/M software has to be modified - or patched - to run on a particular computer monitor or terminal. When CP/M was popular there were all sorts of monitors out there - each having their own technical characteristics - such as how to clear the screen, and put the cursor in the top left hand corner - change screen colours - advance the cursor 1 line, or one word - etc etc.

All in all, it's not for the faint of heart. In your case, I'd also say that it's not really for people who only have a tape drive(s). You're going to find it slow and very frustrating, at least at first until you get the feel of it. What's worse, you run a very real risk of having your tape drives quit on you after prolonged use.

Wouldn't recommend it. But…… if you want to give it a try, then I'll see what I can do to get you what you need.

Ron Mitchell