[Coladam] Introduction and Coleco Adam Floppy Disk Drive

Frances and/or Richard Clee cleechez at tamcotec.com
Fri Mar 16 04:39:12 CET 2012

Hello John and welcome to our list. May I offer a history lesson, based
on appearances and a vast fund of ignorance.

Back in the day, very few Adam 5-1/4 drives were produced, with
apparently their own exclusive EPROMs keyed to the unique Adam operating
system. These were single sided 160K units produced and assembled for
Coleco by some Oriental outfit I don't recall. The controller board was
poorly designed and prone to overheating, and a disc-in-place sensor was
mandatory.

When Mark Gordon founded Micro Innovations and began producing Adam
double-sided 5-1/4" discs, he bought generic double-sided 360K discs and
mounted them on a board with firmware of his own design. A number of our
developers have tried reading Mark's firmware but if there have been any
successes they have not been publicized. Mark did copyright his work and
the copyright is still alive.

My guess is that it was easier and cheaper to produce an upgraded
generic disc drive than to try to replicate the Adam original.

But beyond that, I'll leave it to those who know what they are talking
about to fill you in. - rich c