[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 23:10:52 CET 2012

John,

Indeed, the nickname coincidence is pretty hilarious, especially for all us
old-timers that were around back in the day and dealt with Big John Lingrel.
I am also glad to hear of your "very serious" interest in the ADAM Computer
and look forward to hearing how things progress when you have the time to
dedicate to it not to mention someone that we could possibly fall back on in
times of need for repairs.

Aside from this Mailing List, there is a VERY active ColecoVision & ADAM
Forum on the AtariAge site that you should readlly checkout if you haven't
already: www.atariage.com . It is heavy on the ColecoVision side, but there
are a good number of ADAM owners on there as well that would enjoy hearing
from you as well as hearing about projects that you might be working on. I
mentioned about an ADAMnet SD-Card Drive solution and there has been one
developed by AtariAge member "Else" and you can find a very lengthy thread
on the forum to read up about it by using the forum search option.
Unfortunately, there has not been any further news about this completed
drive in quite some time.

As far as the ADAM Computer, indeed it was an incredible computer for it's
time that simple got rushed to market by the powers that be at Coleco in
order to capitalize on the X-Mas '83 season. As you stated, if only they
could have held back the release for a couple more months to properly finish
debugging the system Coleco could have been a big player in the home
computer market for years to come. One other change that would have been
beneficial was the removal of the power supply from the printer and the use
of a separate power transformer. This way Coleco could have offered an
additional ADAM package without a printer that would have allowed them to
really butt heads with Commodore as far as price. If they only knew what we
know now.

I worked for and then took over the Northern Illiana ADAM Users Group and
mail-order back in the day and we worked with American Design Components a
number of times when buying up large quantities of stock from Coleco while
other times we bought stuff directly from Coleco. They were a great company
to work with as they had the necessary "deep pockets", which allowed us to
acquire smaller quantites of systems, disk drives, data drives, keyboards,
controllers, cables and other items. Indeed, I do recall when they were
seriously considering new production of ADAM systems, but by then people
could find them at very cheap prices and the damage was done to it's
reputation, so this fell through. If I recall correctly, they were also in
negotiations with MPI Technlogies (the maker of the ADAM Disk Drive) to
bring about an updated ADAM Computer called the Goliath. This all fell thru
as well and I think MPI eventually sold the rights to this computer to a
European company.

Indeed, national ADAM exposure/support was first seen in Family Computing,
then continued on by Computer Shopper and finally Vulcan Computer magazine.
The exposure in Family Computing really aided in building up NIAD's
membership.

You can find a lot of great information, as well as ALL 94 issues of the
NIAD Newlsetter and other group's newsletters in PDF format at my friends
site: http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/index.html

Also checkout: www.theadamresource.com

Jim