[Coladam] Disk Drive ROM

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Tue Mar 20 15:06:22 CET 2012

On Mon, March 19, 2012 11:09 am, geoffrey oltmans wrote:

> I've never tried doing a disk drive 6801 to see what's actually in
> it.

        I believe that all the 6801s used in the Coleco disk drives
were rejects with failed mask ROMS.  They still work as microcontrollers,
but only if used in 6803 mode with external (E)PROM.  This saved Coleco
a bit of money, and probably also allowed delaying until the last possible
second the decision about single-sided vs. double-sided disk drive.

        *Dr. D.*