[Coladam] Question to all Adamites

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Mon Mar 26 15:21:35 CEST 2012

On Sun, March 25, 2012 9:56 pm, kevin laskowski wrote:

> Hi. Heres a question, How valuble is the Coleco Adam? And if so, as to
> what condition, software, etc, acsessories value,(assuming working
> disk drives can sell right now, for $200) Pawn value?, private sale?.
> whatever.

        I will leave it to the eBayites to place exact dollar values,
because I have no clue.

        Disclaimer for what follows:  I love my ADAM and always will;
it's been quarter century of my life in one way or another.

        My gut feeling is that the ADAM will never have the value (either
intrinsic as a collectible or monetary as an investment) that other 8-bits
of the era have.  It was not a commercial success (it killed Coleco), it
left no technological descendants (the DINA doesn't count, and ADAMnet-style
plug-n-play peripherals like USB are parallel evolution), it was not a
trendy hacking platform (see the Jargon File), it didn't appear positively
in any pop culture venue that makes it valuable (all we got was one pejorative
reference in "The Simpsons").

        Our group of ADAMites is all there is.  Maybe in the far future,
someone will rediscover the ADAM, and then all the stuff we have done,
documented, and collected, will be of value -- assuming that estate sales
and spring cleaning don't chuck it all in the trash.  But right now, the
ADAM is not the IBM-PC, the Apple IIe or MacPlus, the C-64 or Amiga, the
Kaypro, the Osborne ("War Games"), the BBC Micro, nor even the TRS-80; and
the ColecoVision is not the Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES, or SEGA Genesis.

        YYMV, obviously.

        *Dr. D.*