[Coladam] Question to all Adamites

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 00:42:22 CEST 2012

The value of the ADAM Computer is a tricky one at best to put an exact
amount on like Rich D. already stated... it all depends on when and where
someone acquires the fancy to pick one of these up. I have seen NEW IN BOX
Stand-Alone ADAM Computers sell for $150 all the way up to $500 on eBay, NEW
IN BOX Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM Computer sell for $100-$300 on eBay. A big factor
that plays into selling these computers is the rather large shipping expense
as most sellers charge anywhere from $40-$75.

Of course, you can find some really good deals on the ADAM on eBay if the
original box is not included, if parts are missing and if the system is not
tested and verified. I picked up three systems, 2 printers, power supply, 2
disk drives, numerous interface cards, tons of software and other extras
from one eBay seller for roughly $350 including shipping. I also got lucky
last summer and acquired 6 REALLY LARGE boxes of CV & ADAM gear from a
former Coleco employee for the cost of shipping ($125) that included
unreleased protos and very hard to find software complete in the box.

So basically, it all boils down to timing and over the last couple years it
seems like the period immediately after X-MAS thru the end of January is a
very good time to sell and make the most money.

I disagree with Rich's assessment that the ADAM is not very sought after by
retro-computerists as I personally sold/flipped almost 10 systems last year
on www.atariage.com in their MarketPlace Forum including one to a person in
Belgium and another to a person in Australia (could have been two but I
don't have anymore spare systems). You can even search back in their forum
for all the system packages that I advertised for sale to get a feel for
things.

One thing that will increase interest in the ADAM is to make as much as
humanly possible available for the masses (software, newsletters, technical
docs, manuals, etc., etc.) to be able to look over and try via emulation. I
know, a lot of people will just collect the stuff and never give a second
thought to acquiring the real deal, but there will be those that will be
truly amazed by everything that was made and done for this system over the
years and will feel compelled to acquire a system... these are the people
that can pick up the banner and run with it for the years to come.

Don't forget, either, that the ADAM is a ColecoVision Game System as well
and the ColecoVision Homebrew Scene is THE most active of all the other
retro game systems. This year alone there will be upwards of 25 new games
releases, an incredible new Arcade Controller and finally the Super Game
Module with an arcade perfect Donkey Kong. It is truly amazing what is going
on and the best place for all the latest news id www.atariage.com in the
ColecoVision/ADAM Forum.

Indeed, the ADAM is the bastard child of Coleco that was the beginning of
the end for them in the computer and videogame industry and that, too, is
something that perks people's interests in the system!

Jim/NIAD