[Coladam] Busted ADAM drives?

Dale Wick dmwick at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 19:34:41 CEST 2012

There were a lot of different models of Micro Inovation drives produced.  I did an interview with Mark Gordon back in the late 90s and got a rough count of each one.  It appeared in the MTAG newsletter and was  probably in ANN as well.  I'm not sure where I'd look that up but it must be documented somewhere.

It is actually surprising how many different sizes and capacities that he implemented:
- 160k 5 1/4 * for flippy enthuastists
- 320k 5 1/4
- 360k 5 1/4
- 1.2MB 5 1/4
- 360k 3.5
- 720k 3.5
- 1.44MB 3.5
Each of these were made in batches of 50 as I understand it.  But without my references I would be making up the numbers.

And then he made the AdamNET harddisk which I believe was 10 MB, but he wasn't satisfied with the performance and was planning to increase the speed of the AdamNET from 62.5kbps to more like double or quadruple the speed.  Because that didn't work out, all 250 of those were destroyed except 1.  So it is unique.

The other kind of 320k drive that was ground up created was the IHSR drive.  I had one of those because our club purchases a dozen of them as a bulk purchase.

And then there were of course lots of people doing conversions of Adam floppy drives.  I never had an Adam floppy but I know there are plenty out there.  There must be tens of thousands of those that were manufactured compared to the estimated 500,000 Coleco Adams that were made.

Dale