[Coladam] Busted ADAM drives?

geoffrey oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 28 23:13:15 CEST 2012

I think I've got most of the tools necessary to do this, just need to play with
a few broken examples. The one thing that I don't have is any sort of
calibration disk. Back in the days of the C-64/1541, I used to use just any old
commercially duplicated floppy disk, and the density was such that it was easy
enough to get close by eye. These days I have ready access to an oscilloscope
and a bit more know how under my belt.

When I get my stuff back out of storage I'll experiment with mine and see if I
can make them any better.

I know you have mentioned before that you have had very bad luck shipping Coleco
drives. I can't for the life of me understand why Coleco drives should be
unique, as I've shipped a number of other non-coleco drives without incident.
There really isn't anything special to them versus any other brand. I wonder if
environmental factors (heat/cold, humidity) or temporal ("worked when it left
here!") come into play. I have certainly noticed that my drives tend to be more
finicky when they are first turned on versus when they are warmed up for some
time (5-15 minutes).