[Coladam] Memory expander

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Wed Aug 1 11:23:32 CEST 2012

On Tue, July 31, 2012 11:13 pm, Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Also, anyone have a copy of a RAM tester program handy? I used to have one
> that would test up to 256k from the MI card, but I have no idea where this is
> now.

     Geoff, by chance do you have a copy of my SmartBASIC 1.x?  If so,
a program to check the size of RAM is fairly trivial (the enhanced PEEK
and POKE commands can take a bank number argument, and all the necessary
bank-switching magic is taken care of).  Just a FOR-NEXT loop writing to
the same address in each bank in turn, and seeing if you get back what you
wrote; when you start getting garbage back, you have exceeded the size of your
XRAM expander card.  Let me know and if so, I can write the program and
send it to you (probably even post it to the list, it would be short enough).

     If all you have is regular SmartBASIC 1.0, then you have to handle the
bank-switching through machine code POKEd into "safe" places (i.e., where
it won't get switched out when you do a bank switch and CALL it).  It has
been 15 years since I programmed regularly at that level, so I would have
to do a bit of research and relearning.  However, I bet that some ANN disk
somewhere has a SmartBASIC 1.0 program that can do this.

     *Dr. D.*