[Coladam] RCA v. coax v. ADAM

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 00:43:45 CEST 2012

If you have the Stand-Alone ADAM (with the ColecoVision built-in) all you
need to do to use this version of the ADAM with a Composite TV or Monitor is
buy a Commodore 1802 Monitor compatible monitor cable... they can be had on
eBay for around $7-$10. This particular cable has a 5-pin DIN connector that
plugs into the "AUX VIDEO" connector on the back of the ADAM and either a
black or yellow RCA Plug that connects to the composite video input of the
TV/Monitor. This Commodore cable usually only provides one RCA Audio Jack
that you would plug into the White Audio RCA Input of the TV/Monitor. You
may get lucky and find a cable that provides 2 Audio RCA lines, but I
haven't seen one in a while. BTW, Coleco states you need a 7-Pin DIN type
connector, but the 5-Pin DIN works perfectly.

JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO BUY A COMMODORE MONITOR CABLE THAT SAYS IT'S
CHROMA/LUMA COMPATIBLE! It won't work.

You can also plus a Composite Video cable into the MONITOR connector on the
back of the ADAM and then plug the other end into the Composire Video Input
of the TV/Monitor. This will only provide VIDEO and you would have to find a
5-Pin or 7-Pin DIN to 1 or 2 RCA AUDIO ONLY Cable. This is the method that
Coleco details in their instructions, but is a waste seeing as the first
method I detailed workd great.

Jim/NIAD