[Coladam] Transferring ADAM tape/disk images to physical media

geoffrey oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 3 17:11:38 CEST 2012

Disks are relatively easy, provided you have an old MS-DOS or linux PC laying
around (286-486 machine is perfect) with a double density 5.25" floppy drive. I
don't recommend using a HD 5.25" drives due to the narrower head width even
though they will write at DD speeds/track positions since it makes for trickier
tracking, but it is possible to use those as well. The reason too for using an
older computer is that newer ones don't have disk controllers in them that
support Double Density disk formats very well. There is a program floating
around called 22DISK that is excellent for transferring ADAM CP/M disk formats.
Otherwise, for regular ADAM disk media you can use the utilities on Marcel de
Kogel's ADAMem distribution site (the DCOPY and CONVDISK programs). DCOPY is
what I used to transfer my collection onto the PC since everything I have now is
single sided. In Linux you can use the dd command.

Tapes are little trickier unless you have a disk drive capable of doing double
sided or a 3.5" drive. The reason for this is because digital data pack images
are 256k in size and a standard single sided, double density disk can only do
160kb. Once you get a DDP image file onto the disk there is a utility in CP/M or
TDOS which will let you write a disk/tape image back to the original media (I
think it's called clone21, but someone can check me on that).