[Coladam] Transferring ADAM tape/disk images to physical media

John Turner gimechip at live.com
Sat Aug 4 15:09:22 CEST 2012

Kevin,
I have given considerable thought to just such a plan since I began to acquire my Adam equipment last December.
In order to place a DDP into a cassette deck, you have to drill a couple of holes in the DDP:
http://www.theadamresource.com/manuals/Modifications/despddp.html
http://www.theadamresource.com/manuals/Modifications/Audio%20Cassette%20Tape%20to%20a%20DDP%20Pack.htm
http://www.theadamresource.com/manuals/Modifications/ddpmake.html
After having read those three faqs - I set out to acquire an Aiwa WX 200 - after purchasing TWO "working" units off eBay (at no small expense) and finding them both to be NON-WORKING. I sat down and gave it some thought. First, the aiwa deck isn't ideal anyway because it is stereo. It is advantageous in that it copies both sides of the tape simultaneously at, I think, 16x speeds. So instead of repairing these decks (i intend to sell them as broken just to be rid of them) I purchased of couple of used, and thankfully functional, high speed professional MONO tape duplicators that copy both sides simultaneously. This will copy a DDP onto a tape with the same track width as the original ddp. A much better solution and it does work to create seemingly perfect DDP's (I've had no problems using the Sony HF-60's - you must use Type I Normal BIAS tape.)

So at this point, what I am working on is this: The high speed duplicator plays the tape at 16x speed. I want to record both sides simultaneously as a WAV file on the computer. The easiest solution that I have thought of is as follows: I have bought some of those cassette tape devices that allow you to play a CD player into a cassette deck (note in one of the links above the author ponders if this might be do-able - normally it isn't in the manner he desires because of the way these things are designed and the fact that the digital data drive has an optical encoder that is driven by the tape running across it). What I have got to do is remove the head from this CD-2-Tape player device and replace it with an auto-reverse cassette head positioned so it is over the write head of the duplicator. The duplicator will then write to both "sides" of this auto reverse cassette head. A small op-amp circuit mixes the left and right channels of the auto reverse cassette heads top side and sends this to the Left channel of my PC's sound card. Another op-amp circuit mixes the left and right channels of the bottom side of the auto-reverse cassette head and sends this to the right channel of my pc's sound card. What I will end up with is a mono copy of the top track of the ddp on the left channel of my wav file and a mono copy of the bottom track of the ddp as the right channel of the same wav file, recorded at 16x speed. Now Goldwave or some other audio editor could be used to slow this wave file down to 1x speed (probably) - but since I will be recording it back to the same high speed tape duplicator i will leave it at 16x.
Now for recording back to the duplicator, I will have to modify another one of those Cd-to-tape player cassettes by replacing the write head that is in it with a write head from one of the duplicator machines - i need to contact the company to see if i can buy these. Then I would only have to play my wav file back into the duplicator which would record it onto the blank tape.

Finally, I hope to be able to modify one of those tape/cd adapters to include an endless loop tape (probably just use mylar leader for this) to drive the optical encoder in the digital data drive, plus include the write head to "write" to the digital data drives head. Then, by slowing the wav file down and having the pc play it to the data drive, perhaps I can make the PC act as a DDP.

NOTE: NONE OF THIS MAY ACTUALLY EVEN WORK - BUT THEN AGAIN IT MAY, WHICH IS WHY I AM PLAYING AROUND WITH IT -John