[Coladam] Transferring ADAM tape/disk images to physical media

John Turner gimechip at live.com
Sun Aug 5 07:07:40 CEST 2012

cf cards can also be used as an ide drive. i just connected it the simplest way possible.

Subject: Re: [Coladam] Transferring ADAM tape/disk images to physical media
From: oltmansg at gmail.com
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 15:48:23 -0500
CC: jblenkle at sacnews.net; drushel at apk.net; coladam at adamcon.org
To: gimechip at live.com

Ah, my mistake. I was under the impression that CF cards essentially used the IDE specification.
On Aug 4, 2012, at 3:38 PM, John Turner wrote:Geoff - I'm about to head out to work, but just wanted to note that currently the device is nothing more than a CF card and mapping circuitry - it doesn't support IDE hard drives at all. A cf card uses three address lines to access all of it's functionality, which is why this requires 8 consecutive memory locations. I have done both 8 and 16 bit IDE interfaces for my various vintage machines and it would be trivial to add one to this. Note that an 8-bit ide interface can still use the newer drives, but it only uses half the drives capacity, but I don't fool with the 8 bit interfaces anymore because they are so wasteful - I switched all my designs to use a latched 16-bit mode as you mention. Of course, until I can get the proper pinouts for the adam slots - I wont be able to lay out the PCB....- John