[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 86, Issue 19

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 11 04:16:04 CEST 2012


Thanks for catching that Shon as I did mean 1Mb max expanded memory provided 
by the E&T MegaRam Card. I seem to recall listing ADAM's resolution wrong as 
it should have been 256x192. Nothing like getting older and little ones 
running around to confuse the old memory.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an SD Card solution on the ADAM one day that 
is menu driven like the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart for the ColecoVision 
because the only option currently for hooking up large drives is through the 
use of IDE Cards which are not easily had and there are too many limitations 
as to what software will and will not work with it.... patched or unpatched. 
While the ADAMnet SD Drive that Derrick developed is an incredible feet, the 
need to set dip switches to choose Disk or DDP Images could be a limiting 
factor for sales if ever produced in quantity for sale. But then again, 
beggors can't be choosers.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <shonmccallum at juno.com>
To: <coladam at adamcon.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 86, Issue 19


                It appears you had a typo and you ment to say “1MB” instead 
of “1Gb”.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = 
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Micro Innovations briefly had a limited run of 2MB memory expanders but 
since they had some power issues or other type of issues with some Adam’s 
they were discontinued. The Micro Innovations 1MB memory expanders were 
fairly popular. The only major issue with the memory expanders is that they 
did not use flash memory so turning off the power to the Adam wiped out all 
the data.
                The Atarimax Ultimate SD cartridge uses up to 32GB SDHC 
flash memory and some of the flash memory has a transfer speed of 95MB per 
second. Perhaps with a software update or operating system patch the 
Atarimax Ultimate SD cartridge could be used as a flash drive for the Adam.
http://www.atarimax.com/colecosd/documentation/
In the late 80’s and early 90’s I used my Adam computer everyday. The 1MB 
memory expander worked as a nice copy buffer to copy 1.44MB 3.5 inches 
disks. The memory expander would read the disks into its buffer and then 
write the disks to another 1.44MB 3.5 inch floppy drive. I always wanted a 
2MB memory expander for the Adam but never had the opportunity to purchase 
one since they had such limited runs.


---------- Original Message ----------
From: coladam-request at adamcon.org
To: coladam at adamcon.org
Subject: Coladam Digest, Vol 86, Issue 19
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:00:02 +0200

Send Coladam mailing list submissions to
coladam at adamcon.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
coladam-request at adamcon.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
coladam-owner at adamcon.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Coladam digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Re: Memory expander (Jim Notini)
  2. Re: Memory expander (John Turner)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:30:14 -0500
From: "Jim Notini" <jnoti2 at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
To: "John Turner" <gimechip at live.com>, <oltmansg at gmail.com>,
<coladam at adamcon.org>
Message-ID: <BB5C90C3931243809DEA8D2849671C00 at HomePC>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
reply-type=original

There was a Memory Expander developed by E&T Software for the ADAM in the
late 80's that used, at first, 256K SIPP Modules and then later switched to
256K SIMM Modules. It came populated with one 256K Module and slots for up
to three more for a total of 1Gb of expanded RAM. Just wanted to let you
know that it is possible, but beyond that I am not knowledgeable enough to
provide further specifics.

You can view a picture of this Memory Expander at the following link, it is
named the E&T MegaRam Card, and if you click on the picture it will provide
a large picture so as to view the component side of the card more clearly.

http://rich.dirocco.org/Coleco/adam/Expansion.htm

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Turner" <gimechip at live.com>
To: <oltmansg at gmail.com>; <coladam at adamcon.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander


>
> I actually laid out a 256K card using a 30 pin simm a couple of days ago.
> The only problem with 30 pin simms is that only the 8 and 9 chip 256k
> simms support 256-cycle refresh. All 30 pin simms above 256K and the 2 and
> 3 chip 256k require a 512 cycle refresh for proper operation. The Z80
> provides a 7 bit (128 cycle refresh) and the MIOC provides an 8th bit for
> 256 cycle. This is Ras Only Refresh. If there were a convenient point to
> tap the !RFSH signal from the z80, you could probably use that to indicate
> to the SIMMs to do a CBR (cas-before-ras) refresh by swapping ras and cas
> at the simms during refresh time. It is something I have been pondering...
> Headed off to work now...
> I don't know if I'll actually build any of this stuff but I'll send the
> files to anyone who wants to play around with them...
>
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:09:26 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
> From: oltmansg at gmail.com
> To: gimechip at live.com
>
> Sounds good! One of the zillions of projects I've had floating around in
> my head was a 30-pin SIMM RAM adapter card since 30-pin SIMMs are
> plentiful and you could do 1-4MB easily with one of those with a single
> SIMM socket (given enough bank addressing of course). I like your approach
> though since SRAMs in that size range are pretty cheap these days.
>
>
> I'd like to see what you came up with for sure. Nice to see someone taking
> something from just a thought to a manufacturable product. ;)
>
> I've decided to concentrate my efforts to fixing the couple of cards that
> I have now (the aforementioned PM IDE card and the unnamed 64/256K
> expander) and to work on a CP/M 3 BIOS. A documented/compilable BIOS would
> be nice to have to support new hardware since drivers could be integrated
> into it a little easier than what's currently out there.
>
>
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM, John Turner <gimechip at live.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Geoff,
>
> I couldn't sleep when I got home this morning, so I looked in my parts box
> and found I had plenty of 128Kx8 Static RAMs and some ISP2032 CPLD's. I've
> put together a schematic and laid out a PCB for a 256K RAM card using
> three chips - the two 128Kx8 Static RAMs and one ISP2032 to handle the
> latching of the bank bits, etc. I think this should work. I have also
> implemented write protect either or both of the SRAMS may be write
> protected with a jumper. Also implemented is battery backup - I figured if
> I was going to use SRAMs (LP variety) then why not make it non-volatile.
> Anyway, it still needs and addressor or printer card to obtain the strobe
> signal to latch the bank byte. The bank byte provides address lines a16
> and a17. a16 is used to decide whether to use the lower 64k or upper 64k
> of the sram and a17 selects which of the two srams are active. I've still
> got to do the cpld code, but a quick "schematic" entry in the lattice
> design software will take care of that. If you'd like to see the current
> schematic and board layout, I can email it to you when I get home from
> work in the morning (going to sleep now - this project has succeeded in
> eliminating my insomnia.) - John P.S. - The !CAS signal is used as the !CE
> of the active SRAM, !OE is tied active, and !WE functions as a R/!W signal
> (due to !oe tied active)...
>
>
>
>
> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:49:59 -0700
>
> From: oltmansg at bellsouth.net
>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
>
> To: gimechip at live.com; oltmansg at gmail.com; coladam at adamcon.org
>
>
>
> John:
>
>
>
> Yeah, even if you have the PAL, you'd still need an addresser card. I have
> an MIB3 so that's covered. I've never done PAL/GAL equations before, but
> I've got some existing stuff to use as a guide, so I'm sure I could come
> up with something. I just figured why reinvent the wheel if one already
> exists. ;)
>
>
>
>
> I've got a dead PM IDE card too, with a blank GAL (was never programmed),
> so unless someone has those now too, that is on my to-do list as well.
>
>
>
>
>
> From: John Turner <gimechip at live.com>
>
> To: oltmansg at gmail.com; coladam at adamcon.org
>
> Sent: Wed, August 1, 2012 1:40:12 AM
>
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Geoff - wouldn't you also need an addresser or printer card to access over
> 64K? If I remember correctly the 4464's support 256 cycle refresh same as
> the 4164 except that they are 4 bits wide - two would make 64k. I would
> therefore assume the PAL was used as the MUX chip. If the wiring differs
> from the MI card, then the MI PAL won't work. However, if you find
> yourself with some time, you could trace out the schematic with an
> ohmeter - I've done this with several old cards. What I do is draw a rough
> copy of the board and components. Then using multi-colored inks (to help
> me keep the wires separate) and and ohmeter, I recreate the board
> connections which then gives me the schematic. If you can generate a
> schematic, I am relatively certain I could write the proper GAL equations
> for you. - John
>
>
>
>
>> From: oltmansg at gmail.com
>
>> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:13:16
>
> -0500
>
>> To: coladam at adamcon.org
>
>> Subject: [Coladam] Memory expander
>
>>
>
>> Hey guys, I have a memory expander with no silkscreen that is populated
>> with 4464 DIP RAM and can (potentially) be expanded to 256k. I have no
>> idea who made the thing, but I'd like to upgrade it. I have a feeling
>> that it is a clone of the Micro Innovations card. This card has four
>> jumpers on it, which I presume is used to select whether you're using it
>> as a 64k card or a 256k one. On top of the missing 6 RAM chips, it is
>> also missing a 7th chip, which I believe is a PAL/GAL (16V8?). Does
>> anyone have any PAL equations or a dump of the PAL from the MI card? I'd
>> like to max the sucker out.
>
>
>>
>
>> Also, anyone have a copy of a RAM tester program handy? I used to have
>> one that would test up to 256k from the MI card, but I have no idea where
>> this is now.
>
>>
>
>>
>
>
>
>> _______________________________________________
>
>> Coladam mailing list
>
>> Coladam at adamcon.org
>
>> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Coladam mailing list
>
> Coladam at adamcon.org
>
> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Coladam mailing list
>
> Coladam at adamcon.org
>
> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Coladam mailing list
> Coladam at adamcon.org
> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
>




------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:48:22 -0500
From: John Turner <gimechip at live.com>
Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
To: <jnoti2 at comcast.net>, <coladam at adamcon.org>
Message-ID: <BAY169-W12F079D883D8B8E2ECC4C4B7CD0 at phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"


Jim,
That board most likely used the 256 cycle refresh 30 pin simms (256k x 8 
chip or 9 chip type). Four of them would give 1Megabyte. What I was working 
on was a 16 Megabyte thingie... 8 bit bank latch = 256 banks of 64K. I 
know - Overkill and really unnecessary... but I figured why not? I've laid 
out a board to experiment with. It's a small CPLD and 30 pin simm socket. I 
figured a single 16M 30 pin simm would do the trick and be less power hungry 
than two or four. I am thinking of ordering a prototype of the board to play 
around with. The board also has an Oscillator can (I have a bunch of 16MHz 
oscillator cans, so I added one), it has a connection for the bank strobe 
from the printer card and a connection to run the !RFSH signal to also. I am 
pretty sure I can get refresh working for the SIMM using the !RFSH signal to 
trigger a CBR refresh cycle. The Oscillator can is included in case I might 
need to use it to pulse !RAS while holding !CAS low. Normally, just bringing 
!CAS low before !RAS will trigger an internal refresh cycle. But also, while 
!CAS is held low, everytime !RAS falls another refresh cycle is generated. I 
also want to see if I can get it to work without having to bring the !RFSH 
signal to the card - I am thinking the CPLD can monitor !RAS/!CAS from the 
Adam and when both are inactive, it can hold SIMM !CAS low and pulse SIMM 
!RAS with the oscillator can. This sequence would be terminated when Adam 
!RAS falls and normal operation would occur. I am not sure if any of this 
will actually work, but it's just something to play around with when I am 
not at work. My job is very stressful as late and working with this stuff 
really mellows me out :-) -John

> From: jnoti2 at comcast.net
> To: gimechip at live.com; oltmansg at gmail.com; coladam at adamcon.org
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:30:14 -0500
>
> There was a Memory Expander developed by E&T Software for the ADAM in the
> late 80's that used, at first, 256K SIPP Modules and then later switched 
> to
> 256K SIMM Modules. It came populated with one 256K Module and slots for up
> to three more for a total of 1Gb of expanded RAM. Just wanted to let you
> know that it is possible, but beyond that I am not knowledgeable enough to
> provide further specifics.
>
> You can view a picture of this Memory Expander at the following link, it 
> is
> named the E&T MegaRam Card, and if you click on the picture it will 
> provide
> a large picture so as to view the component side of the card more clearly.
>
> http://rich.dirocco.org/Coleco/adam/Expansion.htm
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "John Turner" <gimechip at live.com>
> To: <oltmansg at gmail.com>; <coladam at adamcon.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:13 PM
> Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
>
>
> >
> > I actually laid out a 256K card using a 30 pin simm a couple of days 
> > ago.
> > The only problem with 30 pin simms is that only the 8 and 9 chip 256k
> > simms support 256-cycle refresh. All 30 pin simms above 256K and the 2 
> > and
> > 3 chip 256k require a 512 cycle refresh for proper operation. The Z80
> > provides a 7 bit (128 cycle refresh) and the MIOC provides an 8th bit 
> > for
> > 256 cycle. This is Ras Only Refresh. If there were a convenient point to
> > tap the !RFSH signal from the z80, you could probably use that to 
> > indicate
> > to the SIMMs to do a CBR (cas-before-ras) refresh by swapping ras and 
> > cas
> > at the simms during refresh time. It is something I have been 
> > pondering...
> > Headed off to work now...
> > I don't know if I'll actually build any of this stuff but I'll send the
> > files to anyone who wants to play around with them...
> >
> > Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:09:26 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
> > From: oltmansg at gmail.com
> > To: gimechip at live.com
> >
> > Sounds good! One of the zillions of projects I've had floating around in
> > my head was a 30-pin SIMM RAM adapter card since 30-pin SIMMs are
> > plentiful and you could do 1-4MB easily with one of those with a single
> > SIMM socket (given enough bank addressing of course). I like your 
> > approach
> > though since SRAMs in that size range are pretty cheap these days.
> >
> >
> > I'd like to see what you came up with for sure. Nice to see someone 
> > taking
> > something from just a thought to a manufacturable product. ;)
> >
> > I've decided to concentrate my efforts to fixing the couple of cards 
> > that
> > I have now (the aforementioned PM IDE card and the unnamed 64/256K
> > expander) and to work on a CP/M 3 BIOS. A documented/compilable BIOS 
> > would
> > be nice to have to support new hardware since drivers could be 
> > integrated
> > into it a little easier than what's currently out there.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM, John Turner <gimechip at live.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Geoff,
> >
> > I couldn't sleep when I got home this morning, so I looked in my parts 
> > box
> > and found I had plenty of 128Kx8 Static RAMs and some ISP2032 CPLD's. 
> > I've
> > put together a schematic and laid out a PCB for a 256K RAM card using
> > three chips - the two 128Kx8 Static RAMs and one ISP2032 to handle the
> > latching of the bank bits, etc. I think this should work. I have also
> > implemented write protect either or both of the SRAMS may be write
> > protected with a jumper. Also implemented is battery backup - I figured 
> > if
> > I was going to use SRAMs (LP variety) then why not make it non-volatile.
> > Anyway, it still needs and addressor or printer card to obtain the 
> > strobe
> > signal to latch the bank byte. The bank byte provides address lines a16
> > and a17. a16 is used to decide whether to use the lower 64k or upper 64k
> > of the sram and a17 selects which of the two srams are active. I've 
> > still
> > got to do the cpld code, but a quick "schematic" entry in the lattice
> > design software will take care of that. If you'd like to see the current
> > schematic and board layout, I can email it to you when I get home from
> > work in the morning (going to sleep now - this project has succeeded in
> > eliminating my insomnia.) - John P.S. - The !CAS signal is used as the 
> > !CE
> > of the active SRAM, !OE is tied active, and !WE functions as a R/!W 
> > signal
> > (due to !oe tied active)...
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:49:59 -0700
> >
> > From: oltmansg at bellsouth.net
> >
> > Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
> >
> > To: gimechip at live.com; oltmansg at gmail.com; coladam at adamcon.org
> >
> >
> >
> > John:
> >
> >
> >
> > Yeah, even if you have the PAL, you'd still need an addresser card. I 
> > have
> > an MIB3 so that's covered. I've never done PAL/GAL equations before, but
> > I've got some existing stuff to use as a guide, so I'm sure I could come
> > up with something. I just figured why reinvent the wheel if one already
> > exists. ;)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I've got a dead PM IDE card too, with a blank GAL (was never 
> > programmed),
> > so unless someone has those now too, that is on my to-do list as well.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > From: John Turner <gimechip at live.com>
> >
> > To: oltmansg at gmail.com; coladam at adamcon.org
> >
> > Sent: Wed, August 1, 2012 1:40:12 AM
> >
> > Subject: Re: [Coladam] Memory expander
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Geoff - wouldn't you also need an addresser or printer card to access 
> > over
> > 64K? If I remember correctly the 4464's support 256 cycle refresh same 
> > as
> > the 4164 except that they are 4 bits wide - two would make 64k. I would
> > therefore assume the PAL was used as the MUX chip. If the wiring differs
> > from the MI card, then the MI PAL won't work. However, if you find
> > yourself with some time, you could trace out the schematic with an
> > ohmeter - I've done this with several old cards. What I do is draw a 
> > rough
> > copy of the board and components. Then using multi-colored inks (to help
> > me keep the wires separate) and and ohmeter, I recreate the board
> > connections which then gives me the schematic. If you can generate a
> > schematic, I am relatively certain I could write the proper GAL 
> > equations
> > for you. - John
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >> From: oltmansg at gmail.com
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:13:16
> >
> > -0500
> >
> >> To: coladam at adamcon.org
> >
> >> Subject: [Coladam] Memory expander
> >
> >>
> >
> >> Hey guys, I have a memory expander with no silkscreen that is populated
> >> with 4464 DIP RAM and can (potentially) be expanded to 256k. I have no
> >> idea who made the thing, but I'd like to upgrade it. I have a feeling
> >> that it is a clone of the Micro Innovations card. This card has four
> >> jumpers on it, which I presume is used to select whether you're using 
> >> it
> >> as a 64k card or a 256k one. On top of the missing 6 RAM chips, it is
> >> also missing a 7th chip, which I believe is a PAL/GAL (16V8?). Does
> >> anyone have any PAL equations or a dump of the PAL from the MI card? 
> >> I'd
> >> like to max the sucker out.
> >
> >
> >>
> >
> >> Also, anyone have a copy of a RAM tester program handy? I used to have
> >> one that would test up to 256k from the MI card, but I have no idea 
> >> where
> >> this is now.
> >
> >>
> >
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >> _______________________________________________
> >
> >> Coladam mailing list
> >
> >> Coladam at adamcon.org
> >
> >> http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> >
> > Coladam mailing list
> >
> > Coladam at adamcon.org
> >
> > http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> >
> > Coladam mailing list
> >
> > Coladam at adamcon.org
> >
> > http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Coladam mailing list
> > Coladam at adamcon.org
> > http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam
> >
>
>


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Coladam mailing list
Coladam at adamcon.org
http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam


End of Coladam Digest, Vol 86, Issue 19
***************************************
____________________________________________________________
Woman is 53 But Looks 25
Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors...
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5023d4f43d81454f353east04vuc
_______________________________________________
Coladam mailing list
Coladam at adamcon.org
http://adamcon.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coladam




More information about the Coladam mailing list