[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 88, Issue 9

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 00:19:42 CEST 2012

Back in the day, late 80's and early 90's, Jim Walters of Walters Software
Co. started producing cartridges for use with the ADAM Computer. His initial
cartridge release was the "SmartDSK Cart", which was a set of ramdisk
utilties, later he drastically updated this cart and changed the name to
"ADAM's DeskTop" and also made it available on a Prom Chip which could be
installed in an open socket on the M.I. Parallel Interface Card. He also
developed a cart called "SmartMATE", which was for use with the original MFM
(and RLL ??? ) line of M.I. Hard Disk Drives... I don't think that he ever
updated this Hard Drive utility for use with M.I.'s later line of IDE Hard
Drives, but if he did, then all we need to do is track down one of these
carts and dump it to a rom image file and then place on either the AtariMax
128-in-1 USB or Ultimate SD MultiCarts to use with ADAMcon's new IDE/CF
package.

Seeing as Jim Walters spent all the time and effort to get setup to produce
cartridges, he also made available a service to place numerous ADAM programs
onto cart as a special order service. There were limitations as to what
could be placed onto a cart and the program had to be 32K or smaller...
SmartBASIC v1.0 was one of these program that could be placed onto cart and
numerous copies were sold although I haven't seen one become available since
getting back into the scene in late 2009.

Probably the only people that might have some of these different carts are
ADAMcon and Rich Clee seeing as they were smart enough to keep there
original collections all these years as well as acquire numerous systems
over the years from people looking to find a good home for them when they
didn't need them anymore.

I've been meaning to send Jim an email to discuss some things and now I have
even more reason to do so.

Jim