[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 88, Issue 9

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 03:38:01 CEST 2012

That could be a tall order to accomplish, Shon, to emulate thru the AtariMax cart.

Actually, something on the lines of Opcode's upcoming SGM might be easier seeing as it's " BASICALLY " (and I say this very lightly as I don't have the hardware skills to know for sure) a very scalled down Expansion Module #3 ADAM Logic Board that retains the onboard 32K of RAM, but adds an additional sound chip.

What could be a very interesting project for someone with the abilities such as Opcode would be to expand upon the SGM and add the necessary elements of the ADAM Computer (ADAMnet, E.O.S., I/O, 96K of RAM (32K standard plus 64K expanded to cover programs that require expanded memory), etc. and do away with items that wouldn't be necessary such as the Digital Data Drives, BUT replace them with an ADAMnet compatible and built-in SD Drive. So in essense, you have a miniaturized Expansion Module #3 (probably could be the size of the originally planned Coleco SGM) with the additional sound chip that Opcode's SGM provides that would install in the CV's Expansion Bus. Again, I'm no hardware guru, but it probably could even be powered by the CV Power Supply. Seeing as this dream configuration would contain the ADAMnet communications protocol, one could even connect an ADAM Keyboard and Disk Drive to it as long as 2 ADAMnet ports where provided as well.

Something like this could be very enticing for current CV owners who would have all the benefits of Opcode's SGM along with having a nearly complete ADAM (everything someone would want) without the space drawback and then have access to all ADAM software via the SD Drive and disk images. While there are a lot of dudes among the ADAM Homebrew software, there are indeed enough quality titles that could make this a worthwhile project as well as all the Coleco made ADAM software.

Also, if an SD Drive could be developed in the manner mentioned above, it could be offered as an individual product as well for those that own an ADAM.

Kinda reminds me of a series of articles that Barry Wilson used to write, "What the ADAM World Really Needs...".