[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 88, Issue 9

Eduardo Mello eduardo at opcodegames.com
Wed Oct 24 05:49:50 CEST 2012

Jim,

Now how about something a little more advanced than that. How about an
improved ADAM.
Because once the SGM is out, I was planning to start working to on an
improved ColecoVision. So we would expand on that and have an improved
ADAM based on the new CV architecture. Of course we would need to add
ADAMnet, which I am not totally familiar with, but I guess that can be
emulated by a large CPLD.

For the new CV I am planning a Z80 at 7.14MHz, with software
selectable clock, a V9958 for video, which is TMS9928 compatible but
offers a number of interesting improvements specially for computer
applications. It has four new bitmap modes, maximum resolution of
512x424 interlaced, 256 simultaneous RGB colors on screen, and a 80
columns text mode. 16 programmable color palettes from 512 colors on
all modes, hardware scroll. It also offers a special variation of the
256 color modes where we can have 19,000 colors on screen, using YJK
encoding (a kind of JPEG variation). The V9958 also offers a blitter,
like some 16 bits from the 80s.
In addition to that a DMA and interruption controllers. And a couple
of new sound chips, the extra PSG from the SGM + a YM2151, awesome for
music.

For the ADAM variation we would add a RTC, a more flexible and
powerful MMU (perhaps allowing 16MB of RAM to be mapped), a few on
board connection ports like serial and parallel, and of course
ADAMnet. And was you mentioned, SD. Perhaps even ethernet, I know that
you can buy an ethernet controller those days that even includes a
TCP/IP stack, so you don't need to implement that by software, which
would be very inefficient anyway using a Z80.

So it would still keep the retro flavor of the original, but expand on
many areas. Of course I would need help with the base software stuff,
like OS, BIOS, etc.

But I believe that with good planning it would be possible.

Eduardo