[Coladam] Super ColecoVision/ADAM

Joe Blenkle - Comcast jblenkle at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 23:11:43 CEST 2012

Well, personally, I would be all for an improved ADAM...I currently have
three ADAM stand alone consoles, but as I stated with the ColecoVision,
someday they'll quit functioning and I would not be inclined to hunt down
another one because it would probably meet the same fate and it might not be
worth the investment.

A new machine, however, would be a different story. But then having said
that...

At this point in time unless someone suddenly jumps on the bandwagon to
develop software, there hasn't been anything released for the ADAM since
probably the late 80s.

I have two disk drives, two data drives, a modem, 64k expander card,
parallel printer card, speech synthesizer and midi interface all hooked up
to my ADAM. But except for playing occasional games, I seldom boot up any
programs on my ADAM anymore unless its to re-live the good old days. And
even then, it's much easier and faster to run programs and play games on the
ADAM emulator.

The ADAM has a fond spot in my heart for some reason and I love collecting
all the old programs for it. I love fooling around with it. It's the only
computer I've ever actually opened up and worked on. Many years ago I
replaced a dead sound chip on the motherboard. But other than for the
memories of it, I just don't use it anymore...sad, but true.

Would I buy a new and improved ADAM...probably...but would I actually use it
beyond what my existing ADAM is used for? Probably not. Am I going to use
SmartWriter when I have Word and Word Perect? ADAMCalc over Excel?

So yes, a new ADAM would be nice...but what would it do for me? As far as
software development goes, it's a dead machine. And most of the people who
used to write software for it are no longer interested.

Possibly there would be more value in an ADAMNet SD card that could plug
directly into the ADAM and be able to run disk, DDP and cart images. Disk
drives are rare and subject to failure, as are data drives. Not to mention
the old style 5.25" disks...again, they fail and are hard to find. Same with
DDPs.