[Coladam] More Colecovision II comments and suggestions

Joe Blenkle - Comcast jblenkle at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 22:55:46 CEST 2012

I do not understand your reasoning. When ColecoVision was originally
released it was state-of-the-art cutting edge video game technology. It had
millions of dollars behind it, along with TV and magazine ads. Now we have
Smart Phones that are capable of running more advanced games than
ColecoVision.

With the Smart Phones, PCs, Xbox 360s, Sony PlayStations, Nintendo Wii - who
would honestly buy a CV2 over a more advanced...and possibly less expensive
machine? As a CV fan, I would want one, but only to guard against the
electronic failure of my 30-year-old hardware which will probably come
sooner rather than later. If I'm a gamer, I would bypass the 30-year-old
technology in favor of a new machine.

If there are 10,000 potential buyers out there based on your figures, why
has Opcode's SGM barely topped 200 orders? Surely more of these 10,000
buyers would want the SGM...not just 200. Likewise, why do the fantastic
homebrew cartridges barely sell out a run of 100 games?

Don't get me wrong...200+ SGMs is fantastic for what we are dealing with
here...as are 100 homebrew cartridges...but 10,000? Without millions of
dollars in marketing, advertising and production expenses, it just won't
happen.

I think you are taking a "Build it and they will buy" attitude...but unless
you are willing to be stuck with 9,800 CV2 consoles in your back bedroom
anyone tackling this project and producing that many...or even a run of
500...would be taking a huge financial risk.

I know Eduardo has millions in his Cayman Islands and Swiss bank accounts,
but even he seems to be balking at the numbers of units you are tossing
around.