[Coladam] Turning tapes into DDPs

Frances and/or Richard Clee cleechez at tamcotec.com
Tue Nov 6 01:06:21 CET 2012

Kevin, I know they are expensive, but why don't you just buy a tape or two.

One of our early Adam users who found himself sent to China for a couple
of years on his job devised a way to use a dual cassette video player
and recorder to create normal, single directory tapes, since no Adam
tapes were available in China and at that time they apparently couldn't
be imported, either.

He told us that the tapes were a pain to make, and were dodgy to use -
they were not formatted to the level of precision required and over time
were subject to bit rot.

Besides any faults like variations in the recording speed, heads that
needed cleaning, and such, standard audio tapes are slightly longer than
the pukka Adam tapes. This may be why Syd Carter's Megacopy, which used
Adam tape drives and required they be synchronized first (there was a
module built into the program) were not uniformly successful.

I have a Megacopy rig and I have converted audio tapes (from a software
vendor who was trying to cut costs) and I can put either into my Adam
and they will run - at least partly, most of the time, for a while at
least. But electronic storage media are ephemeral at best - even at the
high cost levels; ask the pros - and starting el cheapo is not the route
to satisfaction or success.