[Coladam] Turning tapes into DDPs (Frances and/or Richard Clee)

Joe Blenkle - Comcast jblenkle at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 18:38:46 CET 2012

My 2 cents...I have successfully made ddp's on many occassions. But as has
been stated previously, they are not the same quality as the Coleco/Loren
made ones.

Going from memory as to the original question:
1. There is no way around using a drill to drill holes in the tape. I
suppose you could use a soldering iron of the proper size to melt holes, but
the drill method is much easier.
2. I don't believe anyone has ever tried recoring the tape to a computer
file and then recording it back to an audio cassette. It might work, but...
3. It is crucial to record both sides of the tape exactly in sync. There is
no way around this. You must play/record one side, flip the tapes over at
exactly the same point, and play/record the second side. If the tracks on
opposite sides of the tape are off, the tape probably won't work. I have had
several instances where I made tapes with the tracks slightly out of sync
and it resulted in the data drive doing a lot of winding back and forth
trying to find the corresponding block on the other side of the tape.