[Coladam] I tried

Frances and/or Richard Clee cleechez at tamcotec.com
Thu Jan 17 06:04:21 CET 2013

The best professional opinion as of this afternoon is that any release
of Java earlier than Version 7 release 11 is definitely NOT safe, but
that Oracle may have patched things enough that 7 r 11 is safe today and
subsequent releases of Java - to come as fast as Oracle can get them out
-will render it safe again. They seem to think that since Java basically
creates its own sandbox and runs in there, the exploiters will have a
near impossible task finding a way to make it break out and do malicious
damage. Not impossible, just very unlikely.

I have chosen to update Java (it's in the Control Panel, simple to find
and use) and gamble that Oracle can now issue patches faster than the
exploiters can find a way around them. And as of tonight, my version of
Firefox (17; 18 has just been issued) accepted Java without a qualm.
Firefox claims version 18 offers enough in the way of speed and security
advantages to make upgrading worthwhile in any case.

Microsoft also sent me the latest Internet Explorer 8 this afternoon (in
the update package) and it doesn't seem to have any issues with Java either.

And oh yes - the visitors tonight were James, Ron and Luc, who are not
very often able to join us and so most welcome.