[Coladam] HELP! DDP DRIVE SPINNING AND WON'T STOP!

Kevin Powers kjpmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 23:51:37 CEST 2013

Tried that several times and it failed.  I eventually opened the drive door
(this is one of the drives where that does not automatically eject the
tape), but as I was watching the tape spin, it popped off the spindles.
With the tape out of the cage, I powered off and then powered back on.  I
tried putting in a known blank into the other DDP drive (Drive 2).
SmartWriter was able to pull up a directory listing (blank, but successful)
from Drive 2.  I then reset, put the same known blank into DDP Drive 1 (the
problem drive).  SmartWriter was unable to load a directory listing from
that drive.  I then put the tape back into Drive 2, reset, and once again
SmartWriter WAS able to pull up a directory listing from Drive 2.

Does it sound from the above like Drive 1 is pretty much dead and I need to
replace it?