[Coladam] analog vs. digital joystick input

Rich Drushel rfd at case.edu
Wed Sep 4 14:58:20 CEST 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Kevin Powers wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Geoff Oltmans <oltmansg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Only digital. There are no adc inputs in the joystick ports.
>
> What about via a pair of Atari paddles?

	I believe that the Expansion Module #1 (though I have never seen a
schematic or been inside one) is what accepts analog inputs from Atari
paddles (i.e., with the potentiometer).  Remember, the EM1 uses only the
video modulator and speaker-out systems from the ColecoVision:  it basically
shorts out the Z80 and the TMS9918 VDP.  Atari 2600 games use a 6502 CPU and
totally different video, and all that extra hardware is inside the EM1.

	Plugging an Atari pot-paddle into a ColecoVision game controller
port may not be a good idea.

	*Dr. D.*

Instructor and Executive Officer     |  imparts / Who hear not for the beating
Department of Biology, CWRU          |  of their hearts."