[Coladam] Invitation to hold Adamcon in Amsterdam, NY.

Frances and/or Richard Clee cleechez at tamcotec.com
Sat Mar 1 02:58:43 CET 2014

As a frequent Adamcon member, I am immensely pleased that the Adam's
home town remembers its friends and would like us to visit.

Obviously we are already committed to our plans for this year, so the
topic becomes: should we urge the chair of #27 to make this offer his or
her first consideration?

I'm not sure I have a stake in this. I expect I will still be able to
drive, but whether my health will be up to any convention anywhere is,
as you know, less than a slam dunk. But if I can get there, I wanna go!

Amsterdam is down on that big curve between Schenectady and Utica where
the NY Thruway changes from north to westbound. From Toronto or Montreal
we would likely take 401 to Ivy Lea and pick up I-87 to Syracuse,
switching to the eastbound Thruway there. Depending on one's age and
level of ambition, it's a tough one day or soft two day drive for most
of us. Or maybe the Chicago-NY Amtrak service stops there.

Amsterdam is not just historic for us. It's a major stop on the lower
reaches of the Erie Canal, which is still in use. It's in the Mohawk
valley, which played a major part in the history of what are now the
United States and Canada. Seems they are aware of this and working hard
to present it accessibly and attractively. It's at the foot of the
Catskill and Adirondack mountains, beautiful vacation country with a
wide range of attractions. Should be a lovely place to visit.

There will be issues of currency exchange, and who knows (after the
mid-terms) what the levels of border paranoia will be like, but
basically it should be a trip our Quebecois members could cope with and
enjoy.

I'd certainly encourage our group to look long and hard at this invitation.